Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Love for Design

...and this is how it all started. A few of you may know I AM A HUGE JOHN GALLIANO FAN and this is my journey on how I fell in love with couture and Galliano.

I can distinctly remember my first encounter with him (not literally). My infatuation began in design school and we had to do a report on someone in our field. I chose Christian Dior. Investigating more into Dior I came across John Galliano, which was at the time and still is the creative director there. That's when I would like to say our relationship began (I knew this but he did not). When I first saw haute couture it was Christian Dior Couture Fall 04 Collection. It literally blew me away in astonishment that all this fabric could create such a fascinating design. That's when I fell instantly in LOVE with haute couture which is "high-dressmaking". What caught my eye was the amounts of fabric, the meticulous details, the extravagant folds of fabrics. It was literally a mind-blowing experience that changed my perspective of fashion design all together. I knew from the years before that I wanted to truly design clothes that's why I was in design school, but yet had not found my calling but I knew I would find it eventually. And I did. That's when I knew I wanted to be among those great designers. And let me remind you I was just about to graduate and finally found my passion. Scary.

As years went by I grew to learn more about Galliano and his philosophy about designing and his fascination with you know, pirates. The whole idea of being a pirate really captivated me and no not the whole robbing people but the idea of seeking adventure. That is what caught my eye. He once said "It's been a long time since I left St. Martins, but I feel like a pirate that is plundering the globe for beauties, gold, and gems of ideas. A memory, a  moment, a person is the greatest treasure...but a diamond is a very good second chance."  

Those word have stuck to me and so I now feel like I'm on a great adventure sailing to discover new ideas; either it be a person, a picture, or a quote. I have so many things that are waiting to emerge from my head and can't wait to share with everyone. I know that not everyone will love my designs but that's not my intentions; sounds very vain but I'm just here to let my imagination run wild.  ;)

Sexiness is Contagious. That's my goal.

✌ Jess

1 comment: